Monday 26 August 2013

End of the week- Montana's surprise

I've been trying to decide how to write this one up, realizing now that maybe blogging about everything I have done defeats the purpose of being anonymous, thinking that somehow telling people about what I'm doing takes away from the bigger picture... But I guess if it spreads the word on kindness and shows others how easy it is to change someone's day, it's worthwhile.

On Friday at lunchtime a coworker and I decided we wanted to have lunch from Montana's. I had recently received a gift card and was planning to treat him (it has been both of our birthdays on Wednesday) but he refused to let me.  Naturally, I saw this as an opportunity to do something for someone else and pay it forward.  

We ordered ahead so that we could so a takeout and bring it back to work, so a soon as we got there I started to look around. I wasn't sure who or what I was looking for, but trusted that once I saw them I would know. And I did.  A woman with two children sitting in a booth drawing on the paper tablemat caught my eye, and over I went.  Before I got to them my mind was racing about what I would say, knowing that some people would think I was crazy to just walk up and give them a 50$ gift card.  
In hindsight, I might have been better off to give the giftcard to one if the waiters, but this was the one gift where I actually got to see a reaction.

I awkwardly explained how it had been my birthday and I had been given a lot and how I wanted to pay it forward and share the kindness I had received... And then told them I wanted them to have this gift card.  The woman was taken aback, surprised that someone would do that, and then I formed me that it was her son's birthday that day!! As if it couldn't get any better, she insisted on giving me a hug.  My day was made.

Giving to somebody who wasn't expecting it and then discovering they were out for a birthday... It was priceless! Honestly I don't think anything else feels as good as giving someone else a gift, I couldn't stop shaking.

I'm not suggesting everyone do the exact same, but it's the little things that feel good to do.  If you're reading this, I hope you'll try to make someone smile today.  Share some love, share some kindness... It doesn't take a lot to make a little difference.

I'm just some girl, and I somehow did it... You can too!

Xoxo JSG

No comments:

Post a Comment