Thursday 29 August 2013

Blood donation....

I just received a rather informative call from Canadian Blood Services. All was well with the donation I made last week, and I now FINALLY know my blood type!  I'm AB negative, apparently it's pretty rare and only 0.5% of Canadians have it.  What I also found out was that even though I am able to provide for people with A and B blood types, I can only receive from my own, and the other rare O negative! 

The call definitely made me even happier about what I am doing, and really want to spread the word even more- we NEED more blood donors.  While we were on the phone I learned that ONLY 4% of ELIGIBLE Canadian blood donors actually donate, and that makes me really sad. 

I've already made my appointment for the first day I'm allowed to donate again (I'm a bit disappointed that it is so far away, since you can only donate every 56 days) and I hope this has inspired some of you to donate (or try) as well!

We are a country in need, and this is one of those really simple and easy things that we can do to help out and give back.


No comments:

Post a Comment