Tuesday 10 September 2013

Be kind to yourself, and others...

I would be so much better at updating this blog if I were able to do it from my work computer... however the site just doesn't seem to like me and I'm only able to do so from my iPhone, so I apologize for the typos and any auto-corrections I may have missed!
 
Despite the inconvenience, that's not really a reason to neglect such an important project for so long, so I'd like to reassure you that I'm simply working on another task.  Some of you may not think that it counts, but to me in order to be kind you must be kind first to yourself.  Over the course of the last few years, I'm not sure when really, I've let myself go and lost track of what is important and who I am.  This last week has left me examining my heart and mind to focus on myself.  I've been spending a lot of time being kind to my body (exercising and making better lifestyle/eating choices), being kind to my mind (reading and catching up on my online program), and being kind to my soul (this one has been trickiest as I'm at a bit of a crossroads with my beliefs and faith, but I'm working on it).
 
A friend of mine introduced me to "The Secret" and it's completely changed my way of thinking.  I've been told that I seem more positive and hopeful, and that I'm generally more pleasant to be around.  Honestly, if you haven't heard of it... look it up right now, it will blow you away and change your life.  I'm taking time to be thankful for everything I have, and not look to what I don't, and I'm trying to be more appreciative of those around me (regardless of how frustrating they can be sometimes).  I think that being kind to yourself is a great step to being kind towards others, because when you are in a better mood... really it's just so much nicer for everyone!
 
That being said, I have also been paying close attention to the little things.  I was raised to be polite and helpful to others, and just assumed that everyone else was raised the same way.  To me, holding a door open or saying thank you, were all common things.  I did not think that picking up and returning a hat that someone dropped, or letting someone cut in front of you, were a big deal... but over this last little while, I've seen that it is!  You'd be surprised how thankful a person can be if they leave behind a hat (this happened to me on the weekend), and you grab it and go after them.  Literally, the man was only about 8 feet away, but he was appreciative as though I had gone a mile.  Even the appreciation people have for you simply returning a grocery cart (I honestly thought everyone did this)... the smallest things can make such a big difference, regardless of how second nature it is! 
 
I've since decided that I will not be making a list of 25 acts of kindness to complete, because that indicates that at some point, I'll be finished.  Instead, I want to make a conscious effort to live a life being kind to others, and sharing what I know and have learned about gratitude, kindness, and the good that we can put out into the world.  It doesn't take a lot to help turn someone's day around, all it takes is one extra thought... so I vow to think before acting, and to do good where I can, and to continue to live the way I was raised- not taking anything for granted, and helping others when I can.
 
Some of you are probably thinking "well I already do that, so I'm doing my part" and sure, that's great... but imagine doing just a little bit more, or even just doing it consciously? Think of the difference you can make and then put it into action.
 
I'm just some girl, hoping we can all be a bit more thoughtful and kind... consciously.
 
xox JSG

No comments:

Post a Comment